SC - Recipes for period Bear Meat to be used in

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Wed Sep 8 16:31:38 PDT 1999

Greetings all,

I was requested by a couple of people to give my recipe for Catsup.  I
finally found my Mom's recipe.  Please note that as she gave it to me, she
stated that she always adjusted her seasoning's to what she liked at the time
given the sweetness/juiceness of the Tomatoes being harvested.  So be Warned.

She uses the recipe found in Better Homes and Garden, New cookbook, 4th
printing, 1981 Paper Back, Pg. 303.

Tomato Catsup

IN a small saucepan, combine 1 1/2 teaspoons whole cloves, 1 1/2 inches
broken stick cinnamon, 1 teaspoon clerhy seed and 1 cup white vinegar.
Cover, bring to a boil.  remove from hear; let stand.

Wash, core and quarter 8 lb. (25 medium) tomatoes into a large kettle.  Add 1
medium onion, chopped, and 1/4 Teaspoon cayenne.  Put tomatoes through food
mill or a coarse sieve.

Add 1 cup sugar to tomato juice.  Bring to boil, then simmer briskly 1 1/2 to
2 hours, or till mixture is reduced by half (measure depth with ruler at
start and at end).

Strain spiced vinegar mixture into tomato mixture' discard spices.  Add 4
teaspoons salt.  Simmer about 30 minutes, or till of desired consistency.
Stir often.

Fill in boiling water bath 5 minutes (count time after warm water boils).
Makes 2 pints.

Hope this helps

Frederich.