SC - OT - For Cooking Laurels/Pelicans

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Sep 8 20:10:04 PDT 1999

In a message dated 9/8/99 6:55:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Tollhase1 at aol.com
writes:

<< I was requested by a couple of people to give my recipe for Catsup. >>

Sounds similar to the one I use with some major variations. The one I use is
from my grandmother who got it from her mother. In the last few years I found
out that it was taken from the Fanny Farmer Cookbook. It is Catsup to die
for! In fact I just finished making 7 half pints. :-) Enjoy!

Tomato Catsup

Peel and chop:
10 lb.. Ripe tomatoes
3 Onions
2 Sweet red peppers, seeded

Add, if liked
1/2 clove Garlic

Cook slowly until soft. Put through a fine sieve. Simmer until reduced
one-half (about 30 mins). Add, putting the whole spices in a spice bag
3/4 cp Brown sugar
2 inch stick Cinnamon (Ed. Note: Cassia)
1 tsp. Black peppercorns
1 tsp. Whole cloves
1 tsp. allspice berries
1 tsp. Celery seed
1 cp Vinegar (Ed. note: I use Apple cider vinegar)
1 tblsp Salt
2 teaspoons Paprika
1/4 tsp. Cayenne pepper

Cook slowly until very thick. Stir frequently. Remove the spice bag. Makes
3-4 pints.

Ras