SC - Recipes for period Bear Meat - long

Tollhase1@aol.com Tollhase1 at aol.com
Wed Sep 8 22:19:44 PDT 1999

Gwyneth asked:
> It has been my experience here in my area that people are more willing to
> try a period dish that is a dessert kinda thing...I am wooing some new
> members into period cooking with a workshop Thurs. night...my question is
> this--What are the list members favorite early period sweet dishes?  I say
> early period because I plan to hold several workshops and wanted to kinda
> work my way through English history.

For England, you probably are not going to find all that many for early
period and they will likely be based on honey or perhaps fruit juices
since sugar would have been very uncommon in England then.

I'm afraid I don't have my files divided by time period, but you might
want to look through some of the files in the FOOD-SWEET-DECORATED
section of my Florilegium. Perhaps these files might be of interest:
candy-msg        (127K) 12/11/98    Period candy. Recipes. Candied fruit peels.
Candying-art       (9K)  6/29/99    Period and modern descriptions of the
                                       candying process by Alys Katharine.
cookies-msg       (40K)  9/21/98    Period cookies. Recipes.
desserts-msg      (72K)  9/ 3/98    Medieval and SCA dessert recipes. Sweets.
gingerbread-msg   (39K)  5/25/99    Medieval gingerbread. Recipes.
honey-msg         (11K)  5/25/99    Period use of honey.
Roses-a-Sugar-art (21K)  7/15/98    "Divers Pretty Things Made Of Roses &
Sugar"
                                       by Mistress Renata Kestryl of Highwynds.
sugar-msg        (107K)  4/ 2/99    Sugar and other medieval sweeteners.
sugar-paste-msg   (89K)  7/20/99    Making sugar paste sotelties.
Sugarplums-art    (19K)  7/15/98    "Visions of Sugarplums" by Mistress
                                       Renata Kestryl of Highwynds.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: