SC - Fw: Re: Wonder Bread Uses

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 9 11:06:55 PDT 1999

At 6:12 PM -0700 9/8/99, lilinah at grin.net wrote:
>I have not verified the existence of the purported book, just passing on
>the gossip. It looks completely apocryphal to me, but, hey, i've never
>boiled a whole camel...
>
>Anahita

and posted a recipe for eggs inside chickens inside a lamb inside a camel
(modern). Here is the closest period thing I could come up with offhand,
from the big Andalusion cookbook:

Stuffed and Roast Mutton; Called "The Complete" [or "The Inclusive"]

Take a plump skinned ram; make a narrow opening in the belly between the
thighs and take out what is inside it and clean. Then take as many plump
chickens, pigeons, doves and small birds as you can; take out their
entrails and clean them; split the breasts and cook them, each part by
itself; then fry them with plenty of oil and set them aside. Then take what
remains of their broth and add grated wheat breadcrumbs and break over them
sufficient of eggs, pepper, ginger, split and pounded almonds and plenty of
oil; beat all this and stuff inside the fried birds and put them inside the
ram, one after another, and pour upon it the rest of the stuffing of cooked
meatballs, fried mirkâs and whole egg yolks. When it is stuffed, sew up the
cut place and sprinkle the ram inside and out with a sauce made of murri
naqî', oil and thyme, and put it, as it is, in a heated tannur [clay oven]
and leave it a while; then take it out and sprinkle again with the sauce,
return to the oven and leave it until it is completely done and browned.
The take it out and present it.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook