SC - SC-OT-For Cooking Laurels/Pelicans

Chris and Trish Makowski roecourt at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 9 22:06:33 PDT 1999

Tollhase1 at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 9/9/99 7:27:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> CmUaSrKgYaNlOiLES at 99main.com writes:
>
> << take the leftover whey and simmer it until it is a thick
>  goo. about as simple as you can get!
>  margali >>
>
> What temperature, or does it matter.  Most cheeses it does.

"Simmer" generally denotes around 180 degrees Fahrenheit. Small bubbles
rise to the surface, but it's less than a full, rolling boil. The point
is to denature protein that hasn't already been curdled in the making of
a previous cheese.

In short, this seems to be a form of ricotta, the genuine version of
which is re-cooked, as per its name. The difference would seem to be
that Margali is instructing us to cook the whey until it boils away, or
nearly so, as I believe is done with some Scandinavian cheeses like
gjetost and mysost, while the name "skimmerkase" would suggest the
cheese is skimmed off the top, as ricotta used to be.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com