SC - Laurel-congratulations

Varju@aol.com Varju at aol.com
Sun Sep 12 23:46:47 PDT 1999

Lorix,

> The recipe basically consisted of taking the
> flesh of LOTS of oranges with an equal weight
> of sugar, combining and then rolling into
> little balls and baking.

Ok, Fettiplace has the following (it also has a recipe for candied orange
peel (do you want that one too?).  Please advise if this is not the recipe
you wanted.

Regards
Meliora.

To Make Cakes of Orenges

Take some oringes & take out the meat of them, then pick them cleane from
the white skins, & stamp them in a stone morter, very fine, then take away
the iuice that is too much, & wey to a pound of the orenges a pound of the
finest white sugar beaten very fine, & put it to your orenges, beating them
all together a good while till they bee throughlie mingled, then take it
out, & lay them upon plates, of what fashion you best like, but they must be
very thin, then set them to drying, & when they bee half dry, turne them,
they wilbee soone dry.

Spurling's directions seem to be (I have occasionally paraphrased here):

Peel the fruit carefully, removing all of the white pith, and discard the
peel (or use in another recipe).  Remove the pips, reduce the orange flesh
to a paste in a stone mortar or electric mixer, and strain off any surplus
juice.  Weigh this paste and pound it again with an equal weight of white
sugar.  Pour the mixture onto a large flat plate and set in a warm place,
turning it as soon as the top has dried out, so as to harden off the
underside.

Spurling adds that these taste especially delicious if you dry them off in a
slow oven till they begin to brown and caramelize, when they can be rolled
by hand into little balls or drops with a dark, burnt-orange taste to serve
after dinner with coffee.