SC - OT - For Cooking Laurels/Pelicans

Karen O kareno at lewistown.net
Mon Sep 13 12:46:59 PDT 1999

Helen wrote:

> Hi,
>     Please tell me the difference between marzipan and almond paste.   I thought
> marzipan was made from the paste. But the tube of paste I see in my local store
> has the same ingredients listed as the tube of marzipan beside it.  The color is
> a little different.
>
> Thank you,
> Helen

Almond paste is moister, stickier than marzipan, and is more used for
coating or filling things than marzipan, which is better suited for
holding shapes.

Think in terms of putty versus modelling clay...

Modernly, almond paste is frequently used to coat cakes under icing; it
flavors them and helps keep them moist.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy