SC - Russian embassy meal

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Mon Sep 13 20:22:05 PDT 1999

Yana said:
> And yes Stephen, lemons were
> known in period Russia, but they likely arrived packed in salt or preserved
> in brine, according to the book  _Bread and Salt_.  Depends on how salty
> you like your drinks, I suppose.  :)

Yes, it looks like I spoke too quickly yesterday. In reading "Food and Drink
in Medieval Poland" today, I came across a referance to lemons on page 133:

"Regarding exotic fruits, only raisins, almonds, and figs seem to have been
known in the fourteenth century. Lemons and oranges are mentioned in royal
records only in the following century, and there they are strictly ingredients
rather than dessert foods." "What is more, these oranges were expensive
because three were valued at the same price as siz or eight chickens."

I thought there was another referance to lemons, but now I can't find it.

While this was Poland and not Russia, since it refers to the 15th century,
I think it is likely that they were indeed known in Russia within the next
hundred and fifty years but they may still have been too costly to have
been used for their juice.

Can you give us more details on this book "Bread and Salt"?

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
         http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html ****