SC - period cooking for children

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Wed Sep 15 10:04:13 PDT 1999

Adamantius sez:

>Explanation perfectly clear and adequate but also unnecessary. I'm not
questioning anybody's statement that garlic chives and walking onions
are different plants. I'm not a botanist and don't play one on
television. I'm saying that plants fitting the stated descriptions of
walking onions, but not the description stated by the lady from Gurney's
of garlic chives, are available in the produce sections of several Asian
markets in my neighborhood, marketed as garlic chives. I suppose I could
be mistaken about this, it's true, but I doubt anyone would know what's
for sale in my neighborhood better than I do. <

Not a problem, A. Thought you were asking a question, so I tried to answer
it as best I could, from what I understood from your previous post.

I have a similar problem in my area with usage of the word "mango". One of
the more common names for the sweet bell pepper in this area is "mango",
although most of us on this list are well aware that that's the name usually
used for a specific tropical fruit. Dunno why they call it that here,
though, unless it's because the ones around here are so big, and when they
change colors, they look a lot like a picture of a mango in a book.

By the same token, I stopped once at a farm to let a lady know her cow was
out, and she looked at me blankly for a moment, then said "Was it a cow or a
bull?"..... If you'll forgive me, I really wasn't checking- it was large,
brown and white, and said, "Moo" as I went by.

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio