SC - Cooking a Dragon

cclark@vicon.net cclark at vicon.net
Thu Sep 16 09:18:58 PDT 1999

Stefan said:

>While I've seen other recipes, it will be nice
to try the "original" one. I bought some chicken thighs to try it with
tonight.
Yes, they are not wings. But the chicken drumlets were more expensive per
pound than the thighs. And there is a higher percentage of meat to bone
on the thighs. <

Stefan, while you are certainly entitled to try to cook what you like, may I
suggest that in this case you might want to use the thighs for something
else, like my "Chicken a la Benson", and go back to the store and get whole
chicken wings, not just the drumettes. If you recall, when you tried my
recipe with plain boneless skinless chicken breasts it came out horribly dry
because you had taken away the skin which in addition to becoming
wonderfully crispy, retains the liquids to make the meat fork tender.

There are very good reasons for doing a recipe exactly the way it is given
to you- once you've done it that way, then you can tweak it to your tastes.
I'm also thinking that when properly done, the Buffalo Wings are going to be
way too hot for your lady wife- are you thinging of making something for her
to eat as well?

As I mentioned, get the whole wings, then disjoint them, keeping the the
tips aside, either to bag and put in the freezer for a later stock, or to
feed to the cats. Then use the other sections as A has told you.

Buffalo Wings are intended as a serious snack food, much like pizza- with
the celery strips and blue cheese, it's a munchie that should last you and a
few friends through a football game or a card party type deal.

In order to short circuit those of you who might call me a spoon tease if
you don't have the recipe for "Chicken a la Benson", here it is again.

Chicken a la Benson

This recipe is named after one of my professors at Ohio U, who, in a series
of discussions, made it known that he didn't like red wine, hot peppers, or
garlic. First I combined the three into a condiment, then later I got a
bright idea and came up with this recipe. If you pass it around, please make
sure the title stays with it- I'd dearly love, one of these days, for John
to go into a restaurant and find a recipe named after him ;-)

Garlic, at least a head
Hot peppers, your choice, but fresh
Whole chicken pieces
Red wine, preferably dry
Favorite spice blend

Soak the chicken in salt water for at least half an hour before intending to
cook. Take a baking pan that will hold the chicken pieces comfortably,
neither crowded nor spaced apart, but just touching firmly. Peel and chop
the garlic coarsely and seed (if preferred) and chop the hot peppers- I
usually use a combination of peppers with jalepenos as the base- and scatter
evenly over the bottom of the pan. Place the chicken in the pan, touching
firmly, but not jammed together. Pour red wine over the chicken, dampening
eack piece, until the wine comes halfway up the pieces. Sprinkle with the
spice mixture- I have used, depending on my mood or the intended side
dishes, curry powder, cajun seasoning, poultry seasoning, and different
flavors of Mrs Dash, but it's up to you.

Throw in a 350 oven until it's cooked, and serve- if you like you can make a
gravy with the pan juices with our without the garlic and pepper bits for
your side of rive or potatoes. Don't worry about over cooking- this is one
of those things that can hold quite a while.

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio