Venison - was Re: SC - Boar Recipe

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Sep 18 05:25:03 PDT 1999

Leslie Lansdowne wrote:

> Ok, this may be a dumb question---but just remember that I am a newbie to
> all of this :-)
> What is it about an ungelded boar that will make it a more intense flavor
> than if it is gelded.  It is the loss of hormones in a gelded animal that
> keep the meat more tender and "light"?  This effect applies to all male
> game, I suppose?

Probably to most male animals. Think in terms of the behavior of a
neutered tom cat. Generally they tend to exercise less, fight less, and
travel shorter distances for their food, which means less real muscle
mass, generally more fat, a less complex flavor due to less food
variety, less connective tissue because the muscles aren't being worked
hard, and less of the flavor of hormones like adrenalin in the meat. Are
you familar with the cliche about taking one bite of a piece of meat and
saying, "This animal died hard"? Castrated animals tend not to, at least
in comparison to those with their hardware intact.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com