SC - SC REC Bara Brith (Welsh)

cclark@vicon.net cclark at vicon.net
Sun Sep 19 11:53:15 PDT 1999

There's one near the beginning of _Forme_of_Cury_, called "Rapes in potage"
(turnips in stew). At the end it says that "pasturnakes" (parsnips and/or
carrots) can be substituted for the "rapus."

For either the "rapus" or the "pasturnakes," you clean and parboil the
roots, then cook them in broth with minced (and maybe parboiled) onions,
saffron, and salt. Sprinkle it with sweet spice powder (powdour douce) just
before serving. I cooked this for a feast last year, and for vegetarians
there was a separate batch made with almond milk and a bit of oil instead of
broth.

Later in the same book is a recipe for "Frytour of pasternakes" where pieces
of parsnips (or carrots?) are coated in an ale batter, fried, and served
with almond milk.

If I recall correctly, Platina has a recipe for "armored turnips," whose
cheese coating does little to stop hungry eaters. :-)

Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon