SC - prices in 1520

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Sep 22 04:02:37 PDT 1999

Christina van Tets wrote:

>(thinking of which, can anyone explain why this current mundane
> year is being touted as MCMXCIX, instead of MCMIM or just plain MIM?).

Probably because Roman numerals aren't really in a system we'd identify
as base ten. Note that numeric expressions like iv and iiii are used
interchangably in period, and it's worth remembering that where  years
are concerned, we may have inherited some kind of Millenial Awe. I don't
know, maybe identifying the year so clearly in terms of the dreaded
approaching M hastens the end of the world or something. Stranger things
have happened.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy