more smoking (was SC - ham)

Nick Sasso njs at mccalla.com
Thu Sep 23 12:58:07 PDT 1999

Hi y'all!

I got more info from Prof.Miller- she says that the ext was a version of
the Prodigal Son from the West Saxon Gospels, found in Moore and Knott's
_Elements of Old English_. The word in question is 'beancods', (trans.
'beanpods'). Apparently the student in question could only think of snow
peas as an edible pod.

My question to Ansax-net (which they are still scratching thier heads
about) is- did the author use the word 'beancods' with the common Broad
beans available in England in mind, perpetuating an anachronism of his
own, putting them in Palestine, or was he familiar with (or pretending
the same) beans in the East? Was he referring to _his_ beans, or the
Prodigal's supposed beans?

Of course we all had to discuss how awful and disgusting it must have
been for a good Jewish boy to sink so low as to tend swine, much less
eat their food...

'Lainie