SC - Margali in the food supply company

Kerri Canepa kerric at pobox.alaska.net
Thu Sep 23 14:46:41 PDT 1999

Cadoc wrote:
>Hmm...I had pondered that part as well, I was envisioning a stomach
>stuffed with many. But no spices?   What would you normally serve with
this?
>  How is it cooked?

It is just boiled in salted water (I´m not sure how long because I always
buy it ready-made nowadays), then cooled and placed in fermented whey for a
couple of months. Or years. It takes on that sour taste peculiar to
whey-preserved foods, which doesn´t go well with spices anyway. It is
usually eaten as a part of a platter or buffet of similar traditional
Icelandic food (like sheep´s head and head cheese, whey-preserved meat and
blood and liver sausages, dried fish, whale blubber (but that is impossible
to get now), fermented shark and so on. Usually accompanied with lots of
Black Death (potent Icelandic schnapps) or vodka. Usually served at feasts
during the month of Þorri (Jan. 20th to Feb. 19th, Old Icelandic calendar).

Nanna