SC - Ham

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Sep 23 23:14:21 PDT 1999

cclark at vicon.net wrote:

> Adamantius  wrote:
> >>From MS BL Additional 32085, fols 117v-119v, late 13th century:
> >
> >"4. Mincebek. E une autre viaunde, ke ad a noun mincebek. ...
>
> Okay. This is the original of the recipe that appears in a period
> translation in _Curye on Inglysch_, Part V. The period translator forgot to
> mention that tepid water could be used instead of almond milk, but the rest
> is the same.

Yup. I thought it interesting that for practical purposes this seems to
be the same recipe found in both 13th and 15th century sources, while
both are much simpler (semantically or diction-wise) than the 14th
century version found in FoC. I also thought it significant that the
author of the recipe in this form didn't seem to find it necessary to
describe how thick the batter was to be in terms of another, possibly
undefined term. You just have a batter, and a bowl with a hole in it. If
it worked you knew you had it right.

> Thanks for mentioning this. Now I'm going to have to look up that article.

Fun stuff.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy