SC - Can medieval food be heart-smart?

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Sep 25 19:58:36 PDT 1999

THLRenata at aol.com wrote:

> I will be teaching a class at Great Western War III entitled "Is Medieval
> Food Yucky?", based in part on some discussions from this list about a year
> ago.
>
> The class is a discussion of some of the myths about medieval and
> Current-Middle-Ages food and the de-bunking thereof.
>
> I was hoping that some of the feast-mavens here would share some of their
> adventures in this area, like how they got 200 people to eat _______ and like
> it.

I had great success a few years ago with the cominee de poissons from Le
Menagier de Paris. This was at an EK Twelfth Night, and you haven't
lived until you've tried to get 400 Easterners (except perhaps for the
Carolingians and the Ostgardrians, in whose territories reside the two
big wholesale fish markets of the East Coast) to eat fish.

The cominee sauce ended up tasting a bit like a Singapore-style curry,
with ginger, saffron, pepper, almond milk, and, of course, copious
amounts of cumin. We then garnished the sauced fish (cod), pretty much
as a joke, with those awful canned fried onion rings which we happened
to have in our feast stores. I think one person complained, and the rest
pretty much inhaled the stuff with a sort of whooshing noise.

Of course the one who complained ended up as Queen a short time later;
it made things a bit interesting for me for a year or so...

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com