SC - Icelandic Penis Museum

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Sep 28 00:24:37 PDT 1999

As the originator, I am amazed to see how far the memorial poem
has traveled (and how quickly). There are already two newsletters
that have asked to publish it within the SCA (I'll grant normal rights,
with standard request for copy in which it appears, gladly).

Related bit: I have managed to send a copy directly to the
"official" response address (see www.mzbfm.com/news).
No need to forward extras, now.

And a special thank you to Master Adamantius for
correcting my poor Latin, and adding the dear lady's
SCA name.  (Couldn't remember everything through
my own tears...)

Now, for the on-topic connection: funerary feasts.
Big deals in many Native American cultures, wide
variations in how Christian Protestants and other
"mainstream" religions handle the situation.

What are the _culturally_ taboo or else "required" foods
and how have those changed historically? (There has to
be SOME history behind the American Midwest
tradition of a parade of casseroles...)

Related to that, as in providing the settings and possible
reasons for any number of traditional "funeral foods":
When did the practice of funeral games fall into disuse?
Did it survive even as late as the Norman Conquest of
England in "Christian" lands?

Mike C. Baker
SCA: Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra
"Other": Kihe Blackeagle (the DreamSinger Bard)
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em