SC - Pennsic XXIX Butchering class.

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 28 10:19:20 PDT 1999

Phlip wrote:
> Actually, we're just now learning that what the ancients did
> in many cases
> was just good practice of animal husbandry and the like.
>
> Look at the Jewish and Moslem prohibition of pigs- guaranteed
> a practicing
> Jew of that period did not die of trichinosis.  <etc>

There is at least one cultural anthropologist who has a book discussing
various dietary prohibitions, who concludes that the prohibition on eating
pork isn't tied to trichinosis, but to the climatic and vegetation patterns
in the environments of various tribal people.  He makes a very logical
argument (and ties it in to the Hindu prohibition on eating cattle in a
logical way) that doesn't require a theory of disease to "work."  He agrees
that dietary prohibitions are driven by animal husbandry concerns, just
different ones.  Fascinating book (title is something like "Witches,
Warlocks and Sacred Cows.")