SC - Graham Flour

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Sep 29 05:50:36 PDT 1999

Hi everyone. I really hope I dont do any break against "netiquette" when
I use a part of a message from other list, Apicious list. It included an
interesting approach about our former discussion about the gazpachos
eventually roots in the food eaten by soldiers in Rome.
Here is the part of the message:

the gazpacho I've been working with is a Spanish (specifically
Andalusian)
dish using olive oil, garlic, bread crumbs etc. This dish can be traced
back
through the Middle ages and according to the author of the book this
recipe
originates from it was
Exerpt from "A Taste of Andalusia"
 "Gazpacho, in one form or another, is nearly as old as these hills. It
probably derives from a Roman dish, a gruel of bread and oil. The name
gazpacho may come from the Latin caspa, meaning fragments or little
pieces,
referring to the breadcrumbs which are such an essential ingredient. The
Moorish influence is evident too, especially in some of the variations
on the
basic theme, such as ajo blanco, made with ground almonds.
Of course, none of those forerunners of gazpacho contained tomatoes,
considered basic today. That’s because tomatoes were unknown in Spain,
until
after the discovery of the New World"

Greetings
Ana L. Valdés