Funeral Feasts - was Re: SC - Marion Zimmer Bradley: MourningSong (FWD)

MsGreyPaws@aol.com MsGreyPaws at aol.com
Wed Sep 29 18:54:16 PDT 1999

Roibeard wrote:
>I've seen several references on the list about cooking classes and was
>wondering what you are teaching.   I want to teach a few classes on medieval
>classes but don't know where to start (i.e. period foods, spices, methods of
>cooking, etc.)

Here is our basic outline for a class on cooking from period sources:

I. The Problem:  Primary Sources--finding, reading, redacting

in which we explain why we think it is better to use primary sources, how
you go about finding them, why you have to be careful about translations,
and how you go about making sense of 14th or 15th century English.

II. Redacting

in which we explain how you go about working out recipes, with examples
from our experience (especially the mistakes) and some free samples of what
got worked out to our satisfaction, and we explain how our cooking
workshops work.

III. What is out there and where

in which we discuss what sources are available:  English/French 13th-15th
c., Italian, German, eastern Europe, Islamic, etc., and also what we
haven't found.

IV. Ingredients and sources : spices, gourd, murri, verjuice, sourdough

V. Discussion and questions

The handout is the source list from the beginning of the Miscellany and a
page of examples of 14th and 15th century English recipes for people to try
to read.

We also teach a class on period Islamic cooking; there, we describe the
sources first and then go through a whole lot of recipes fast, pointing out
what is characteristic in spicing, procedures, and so on. The handout for
that is simply lots of period Islamic recipes with our worked-out versions,
taken from the Miscellany.

Each class takes about an hour talking fast.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook