SC - meals for the eating of sins?

CorwynWdwd@aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Wed Sep 29 19:19:22 PDT 1999

As a normal lurker, I wouldn't intrude, but this needs answering.
Casseroles, desserts, breads, etc., are of enormous benefit to the recently
bereaved.  Family and close friends descend on the household, usually in
great numbers and from far distances.  All want and need to be a part of the
mourning process.  They have to be fed (among other things) and often don't
have the money to eat out all the time.  Neighbors and others in the area
understand how impossible it is to plan, cook, or do anything else under the
crushing stress of sorrow.  (I have been there recently and know.)

But, when the funeral feast/banquet/memorial is over and everyone leaves, the
last thing the principal mourner or householder wants is a lot of leftovers.
Trust me, they will never be eaten.  There will also be a lot of work to
decide what goes in the freezer, refrigerator, and how it should be labeled.
It's the last thing a stressed-out grieving person needs.

Truly thoughtful people take all that stuff with them and come back later
with a separate dish just for those in the household that are left, be it
breakfast or a late night supper.  Or even better, several friends coordinate
and provide meals for several days (not forgetting the cat and dog).

Thus, I don't find it "tacky" to take away the leftover food.  It's just one
of those obscure and unusual blessings.

Marquita of Darach