SC - meals for the eating of sins?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Sep 30 03:52:52 PDT 1999

Cariadoc wrote:
>When did Toussaint-Samat write? Is it clear whether her book is earlier or
>later than the edition of the Larousse you are quoting?
>
>In any case, my impression is that the Larousse is quite unreliable on
>matters historical.

I agree, and I wasn´t quoting Larousse as a historical authority on
Charlemagne´s cheese tastes. The point I wanted to make but forgot to add is
that I´ve seen these cheese/Charlemage stories in several publications
(which doesn´t make them any more true, of course), and these legends seem
to be widely known in France, perhaps attributed to other cheeses as well.

Toussaint-Samat´s book was published in 1987; my edition of Larousse in 1984
(the French original); English edition 1988, granted, but if this
information was added by the English translators, they must have been very
keen on it for some reason, because I found a third quote in the cheese
section of Larousse:

"It was not until the time of Charlemagne and the chronichles of Eginhard
(770-840) that cheese was again mentioned in writing. The famous emperor
discovered blue cheeses - the ancestors of Roquefort - while on a journey
into the heart of his territory, and a stop at the priory of Rueil-en-Brie
enabled him to sample the delights of Brie, which was given to him as a
tithe."

Which doesn´t prove a thing about brie or roquefort either way, of course.
But these stories are well-known in France.

Nanna

Nanna