SC - cooking classes

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Sep 30 23:41:04 PDT 1999

And it came to pass on 28 Sep 99,, that david friedman wrote:

> You posted this recipe some time ago,

I had forgotten that.

> and we did it at our cooking
> workshop this Saturday (and I did it again on Sunday, for the shire's
> potluck). Here is our version:
>
> Potaje de Fideos (Pottage of Noodles)
[translated recipe snipped]

>  8 oz spaghetti
> 1 10.5 can concentrated chicken broth + 1 can water
> 1/2 t sugar
> 1 c goat's milk (or sheep milk or almond milk)
> 1 T sugar + 1 t cinnamon
> or
> 1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese
>
> Bring broth and water to a boil and cook spaghetti in boiling broth 8
> minutes (or just over half the maximum cooking time given on the package),
> then add goat's milk and cook another 6 minutes.  Let sit off the heat
> about 15 minutes, during which time most of the liquid gets absorbed. Mix
> in either the cinnamon sugar or the cheese. For larger quantities, reduce
> the amount of broth: for three times this amount, for example, use two and
> a half times the amount of broth.

Hmmm...  I envisioned it as a chicken noodle soup, but your redaction
is more of a pasta with sauce.  Interesting how different people can
interpret the same text.

I have some additional information which might be of interest.  First of
all, since posting the recipe, I have seen (and purchased) modern
commercially-produced fideos.  I found them in a local Hispanic grocery.
 They were imported from Mexico, so I imagine you would be able to
find them in California.  They look like vermicelli broken into 1-inch
lengths.  I have also seen a very similar-looking pasta marketed with the
Italian name "fidellini".

More significantly, Granado (1599) has a recipe for making (and
cooking) fideos, which gives us a good idea of what they were like in
period.  I will post that recipe separately, but it basically describes an
egg pasta, either extruded through the holes of a cheese grater, or
rolled out and cut thin and short.

> We also tried the salmon recipe you posted here; I'll post our version of
> that if people like.

Please do!  I'm still very new at redacting, and would love to see what an
experienced cook does with that one.  I have some new information
relating to that to -- or rather, confirmation of old information.  You had
previously asked if the orange juice used in the salmon recipe could be
from sweet oranges.  I replied that I doubted it, as De Nola uses orange
juice in other recipes as interchangable with sour ingredients such as
verjuice and vinegar.  I am proofreading someone else's translation of an
early 17th century Spanish cookbook.  Sweet oranges ("naranjas
dulces") are mentioned as one of the fruits which are eaten at the
beginning of a meal.  However, the oranges which are used for cooking
are called simply "naranjas".  This indicates to me that sour oranges
were still the default, especially when used in a suace.

> Elizabeth/Betty Cook

Brighid

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)