SC - Recipe: Stuffed Cabbage

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Wed Sep 1 19:52:10 PDT 1999

Here's one of the stuffed veggie recipes I promised.

Source: _Libro del Arte de Cozina_, Diego Granado, 1599
Translation: Lady Brighid ni Chiarain (Robin Carroll-Mann)

PARA RELLENAR LAS OJAS DE LAS BERZAS, O REPOLLO DE UNA
COMPOSICION LLAMADA NOGADA
To Stuff the Leaves of the Cabbage, or Round Cabbage with a Composition
Called Nogada [walnut sauce]

Take large cabbage leaves of those which have the big, wide stalk, and
remove that stalk from them, and wither the leaves with hot water, and put one
leaf on top of another, which will be three in all, sprinkled with cheese, and
have prepared a composition of walnuts pounded in the mortar with a few
peeled almonds, and a point of garlic, and a crustless bread soaked in broth,
and all being well soaked, add mint and marjoram, and chopped parsley,
pepper, cinnamon, and saffron, a good quantity, and raw eggs, and  raisins,
and put the composition on the last leaf and wrap it in the other two leaves,
and fasten it, and make it in the form of a ball, and cook it with fatty meat broth
with stuffing, and being cooked remove it from the broth, detach the thread
and serve it with the stuffing.

In the same manner you can stuff the round cabbages, or clusters, having first
cooked them, and then make a hole in the base, and having put the
composition inside that void, close the hole with a little piece of the same stalk
that you took out of the base of the cabbage, and wrap the round cabbage
with large leaves, and fasten them as we said in the last chapter, and put it in
an earthen vessel, or of copper, not very wide, where there is fatty meat broth
with fat pork, and pieces of ham, and salted pigs’ tongues, and a piece of
calf’s kidney-fat, and another piece of beef, and mutton ribs, adding pepper,
and cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg, and saffron, and fennel with the grain
removed, and fasten the vessel in a manner that it cannot breathe, and cause it
to cook over the embers far from the flame, and being cooked, serve it hot on a
large plate with cheese, and cinnamon on top, and the meats cut into slices all
around.

Notes:

The word I have translated simply as "cabbage" is "berza", which is a generic
term for cabbage.  In this recipe, it seems to be the looser leaf variety of
cabbage.  The term that I have translated as "round cabbage" is "repollo",
which is a word that refers specifically to the tightly closed heads of cabbage.
I do not know what specific colors and varieties of cabbage would be most
appropriate.

The phrase "point of garlic" is a literal translation of "punta de ajo".  The
usual term for a clove of garlic is "diente"; literally, "tooth".  "Punta" is used
in many of the same senses as its English equivalent -- to refer to the tip of
something sharp (like a pen), a piece of land that protrudes into the sea, or the
point on lacing.  In this context, it apparently means a clove of garlic.  I do not
know why Granado used it here, when in most other recipes, he used the
standard "diente".

The phrase "crustless bread" is my translation of "migajon de pan".  There
seems to be no simple English equivalent of "migajon" -- it means the crumb
of the bread; ie., all the soft stuff inside the crust.

The term I have translated as "kidney-fat" is "riñonada", which my dictionary
defines as a coating of fat that surrounds the kidneys.  I do not know if there
is an equivalent English term.

Other recipes to follow.

Brighid

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain