Chorizos (was Re: SC - Sausages from the Danish cookbook)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Sep 2 17:56:45 PDT 1999

Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:

> Here are the definitions (translated) that I found in two Spanish
> dictionaries:
>
> Diccionario de Autoridades (1726-1739) -- A piece cut from intestine
> stuffed with chopped meat, usually from pork, marinated and with
> spices, which is cured with smoke so that it will last.
>
> Diccionario Usual (1992) -- A piece cut from intestine full of meat,
> usually from pork, chopped and marinated, which is cured with smoke.
>
> _The Heritage of Spanish Cooking_ by Rios and March says that
> chorizo was invented following the importation of New World peppers to
> Spain, and that paprika is its defining ingredient, which gives it its
> characteristic color.

Garlic would also appear to be an essential in most cases.

I'm wondering, though, if another original typifying factor (and one
which may since have been lost, as per the example that follows) was a
specific piece or part of intestine, stuffed in a particular way. For
example, French saucisson andouille and andouillettes were originally
made from either rolled tripe or intestine threaded in and out of itself
repeatedly, until it was, essentially, an intestine stuffed with itself.
BTW, those are heavily spicewd, usually with paprika and garlic, among
others, and smoked.

In general, though, chorizo seem to quite regionally variant, both in
style and in quality. In general the Mexican chorizo I've seen have been
pretty awful, usually either packed in rendered lard (which I bet would
be terrific for frying potatoes!) or even canned like a sort of spicy
dog food, while Spanish and South American ones, particularly Argentine,
are quite firm and of excellent quality. Of course my experience is with
imported articles or locally made products theoretically adhering to
style, so it might be hard to tell.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy