SC - icelandic sour Dough?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Sep 3 07:15:40 PDT 1999

Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:

> And it came to pass on 3 Sep 99,, that Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
> [regarding the use of "Nazi"]
>
> > I think this is an excellent example of why that particular word seems to
> > be generally accepted as forbidden in the Internet subculture. I know on
> > the EK mailing list you only have to use the word to end a thread.
>
> On Usenet, there is what is known as Godwin's Law, which basically
> states that when that word is used, the thread is ended, and the person
> who used it has effectively conceded defeat.

That's probably what I'm thinking of. It does apply on the EK list,
though: people will even say, simply, "I want to end this thread
officially - NAZI NAZI NAZI NAZI" etc.

I'm reminded of H.G. Wells' statement to the effect that the first man
to raise his fist is the man who has run out of ideas...

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com