SC - History of American Chocolate, OT

Chris and Trish Makowski roecourt at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 3 22:56:33 PDT 1999

- -----Original Message-----
From: LrdRas at aol.com <LrdRas at aol.com>
To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG <sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG>
Date: Saturday, September 04, 1999 00:42
Subject: Re: SC - SC Re: New CA: French Food in the Renaissance

>In a message dated 9/4/99 12:17:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>roecourt at mindspring.com writes:
>
><< Having just read "The Emperors of Chocolate" it's Hershey that has that
> desinctive curdled and burned milk taste. >>
>
>Just goes to show you shouldn't believe everything you read. I would
suggest
>tasting Nestle's and Hershey's side by side and then the truth of the
>yuckiness of Nestles would be evident and you could dispute the obvious
>errors by the author of the book you read.
>
>Ras

I'm not quoting the author's taste or opinion. She didn't make "obvious
errors" on the tastes. The descriptions come directly out of the companies
own archives. Read the book Ras, it's a quick intresting read.

When Reese's PB cups were liscensed to Hersey to make, they were told
specifically NOT to use their own chocolate, but that they had to use the
British receipe and seperate machines to make them. Europeans hate the stuff
(Hershey's) and specifically call it "that rancid chocolate".

I'm not saying Nestle's is better, or not burned. Nestle's tastes bad to
American tastes because it is Swiss and darker and heavier than we like.
They scald the milk while making the chocolate, giving it the burned taste.

The lady who wrote the book is the only person ever allowed into both the
M&M/Mars and Hershey archives, and Mars has decided since then that no
outsider will ever be allowed that access again. And on a side note, other
than those of you in PN, how many knew that Hershey is owned by a school for
disadvantaged children that operates off the profits of the company? I was
surprised.

Anya