SC - St. Florians Royal visit feast (assistant cook's report)

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Sep 5 19:23:25 PDT 1999

Vivats!

A question to the list though. I know that the 'official' books are available
to all but I am wondering why so few people in the SCA (or on this for that
matter) do not use redacted recipes by other SCA cooks when preparing their
feasts? It just seems strange to me considering that most published works are
 little more 'authentic' than the work done outside the field and most are
not as tasty as those that the people on this list have shared. Yet I see
little use of them

Is there some sort of bizarre mind set that says because a recipe is from a
published work it must be better or more authentic?  Just wondering what
other thoughts on this are because I have only used a published recipe ONCE
in the last 16 yrs of period cookery and that had to be drastically over
hauled to make it fit for a King. From the cooks on this list alone I have
over a hundred original redactions that are better than any published source
not counting my own.

Ras