SC - Experiments

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Sun Sep 5 21:10:03 PDT 1999

Tonight, I made the Salmon in Casserole again.  It's getting closer to
just right.  I increased the amounts of ginger and marjoram.  Due to an
oversight on my part, I did not have fresh parsley or mint on hand, and
substituted dried instead (yes, yes, I know...).  It was tasty, with a
much more developed set of flavors this time.  I will want to try it again,
with the same increased quantities of spices and with fresh herbs.

I also tried my hand at a cookie recipe: "bizcochos" from Granado
(1599).  They came out tasty, if a touch bland, but too soft on the
inside.  I decided to live dangerously, and put in my elderly orange-
flower water (thanks for the advice, Francesco!).  In texture and flavor,
they resemble Cariadoc's version of Prince-Bisket -- not surprising,
since the ingredients and instructions are very close.  I think that will be
necessary to fiddle with the thickness/baking time/temperature to get
them just right.  However, since I ate more of this first batch than is
advisable for a diabetic who's trying to watch her weight, I doubt that I'll
be experimenting with this particular recipe anytime soon.  Better to
stick to the savory dishes.  Gazing into the pyrex scrying bowl, I think I
see a Chicken Noodle Soup in my future...

Brighid

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann