SC - St. Florians Royal visit feast (assistant cook's report)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Sep 6 07:30:23 PDT 1999

Ras asked:

> A question to the list though. I know that the 'official' books are
>available
> to all but I am wondering why so few people in the SCA (or on this for
> that   matter) do not use redacted recipes by other SCA cooks when preparing
> their feasts?

Actually, what struck me when reading the feast description was that the
dishes were cited to secondary sources rather than to primary sources,
suggesting that people were routinely working from secondary sources (SCA
or otherwise) rather than working out recipes for themselves from the
original--which seems to me to be the real fun of medieval cooking.

Of course, in some cases the secondary source is simply the most convenient
place to find the original recipe, which is what the cook is really working
from. On the other hand, I think my two volume collection of source
material contains more recipes than all the secondary sources that have
ever been published--and costs a lot less. On the third hand ...  the feast
was done in Lochac, and airmail postage for getting my collection to Lochac
costs about twice as much as the books themselves. Hopefully, as more and
more of the primary sources are webbed, that problem will disappear.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/