SC - St. Florians Royal visit feast (assistant cook's report)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Sep 6 12:28:18 PDT 1999

Meliora commented about why recipes from this list are not used as much as
published cookbooks:
> In contrast, the published cookbooks are in order on my shelves where I can
> post-it tag the recipes I'm working on.  Its also useful because I can
> gather an armload of books, wander over to the nearest park with my
> Evil-twin (Marion de Paxford) and picnic while working out our next feast.
>
> Finding a particular message on a particular disk where I am tied to a
> computer just isn't the same.
>
> However, as previously stated, putting recipes onto a database that can be
> searched and printed easily will fix this.
>
> I agree that quite often the recipes discussed here are better or more
> accurate than some of those in the books and I keep this in mind when
> actually prep-cooking a feast.  I.e. when my Cerulean blue sauce decided to
> stay red ..... that is when I turn to the wisdom of this list.

Most of the recipes given on this list that I think are period or that
someone gives indication that they are period do end up in the Florilegium.
Although I do have some that aren't there because I haven't figured out
a good way to classify them. Sometimes non-period ones do end up there
too, so don't assume that because it is there it is period.

I do see indications from time to time, for instance in the feast menus
given, that folks do use recipes and redactions from this list. So I don't
think the situation is as bad as was alluded to.

Other than where I think a recipe is characteristic of a particular region,
I generally try to organise the recipes by type of dish or the main
ingredient. Is there a different organisation that some of you would
prefer? That would be more useful?

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: