SC - site fee entitlement

Tara Sersen tsersen at nni.com
Mon Sep 6 15:32:32 PDT 1999

> On the general issue of the thread, my  view is, I think, the same as
> Elaina's. The SCA runs on volunteer labor. If the cook who spent eight
> hours cooking the feast doesn't have to pay the site fee, why should the
> volunteer who spent eight hours (spread out over several weeks) helping to
> organize the feast, or the marshall who spent that long teaching fighters
> (the event is a tournament, say), or the seamstress who spent it helping
> people with their garb, or ... ?

Although I've always paid the site fee for events I've worked, I'll pose
this just to play devil's advocate ;)

The difference between the cook and anybody else who works an event is
that the cook often doesn't get to enjoy ANY of the event because s/he
is in the kitchen, physically seperated from all the other goings-on.
Other workers are at least in a position to enjoy the throng of people,
good weather, activities, etc, even if they're not playing.

This is especially significant at sites like Eisental's Ukranian
Homestead, where the kitchen is very far removed from the rest of the
event and the facilities are poor.  There's not enough room for more
than a couple of people to work, not enough stove and oven space to have
much going at one time, and it's so far away from the center of the
event that we don't get people wandering in asking if they can help.
Last Landsknecht Musterung, I was in the kitchen from four in the
afternoon Friday until I fell over at 1 am, and was up there again at 10
until after the feast.  So, for the cost of my site fee, I got to enjoy
the event for one 30 minute break and two or three hours after the feast
ended before I passed out.

Magdalena vander Brugghe