SC -Lenten/Vegan ideas

April Abbott orlando at rogues.net
Tue Sep 7 18:03:24 PDT 1999

> At 10:07 PM -0700 9/2/99, April Abbott (Sofonisba) wrote:
>>Out of curiosity, has anybody ever tried cooking a whole Lenten meal at an
>>event?
>
> I have never seen it done. There was a feast in the Middle a few years back
> that claimed to be Lenten, but they cheated: they "got a dispensation" to
> use cheese and eggs. I have thought of doing one at some point, but don't
> think I have enough good recipes yet. Things I would do include the salmon
> with wine sauce that was posted here by a couple people a while back,
> Platina's fried broad beans, maybe the noodles with almond milk sauce,
> potage of rapes (or maybe carrots) with a veggie broth, one of the versions
> of greens in almond milk, Platina's torta of re chickpeas...
>
> Other suggestions?
>
> (The rules are, as far as I have been able to make out: no meat other than
> fish, no milk products, including butter, no eggs. If you were seriously
> doing penance or getting into the spirit of Lent, there might be other
> restrictions--but in that case, you wouldn't be doing a feast anyway. The
> cookbooks seem to be full of ways to keep the letter of the Lenten rules
> while keeping as much luxury as possible.)
>
> Elizabeth/Betty Cook

Yeah, I think part of why I chose the word "meal" rather than feast in my
original question was because of the fact that it wouldn't necessarily be a
feast.  I'm torn as to whether I'd really want to try doing it or not.  Part
of me really wants to see it happen, just because Lenten restrictions were a
very real part of period food.  But on a personal level I'd have to struggle
to overcome my aversion to fish.  I suppose that would make it really good
penance for me, though. :)

- -Sofonisba