SC - Vyaunde Furnez sanz noum de chare (was Recipes for Period Bear Meat)

RuddR at aol.com RuddR at aol.com
Thu Sep 9 06:57:43 PDT 1999

Cindy Renfrow writes:

<<Hello!  Here is the only recipe in "Take 1000 Eggs or More" that calls for
bear meat specifically.  This is a very elaborate layered dish in 4 colors,
like a checkerboard lasagne.>>

(Snip)

<>

(Major snip, in which she gives the recipe: "Vn Vyaunde Furnez sanz noum de
chare" (Harleian MS 279, Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books, p. 49.) and
her translation.)

A few years ago I made a test version of Vyaund Furnez sanz noum de chare
(Baked Dish Without a Name, of Meat -- Nameless Meat Pie (?)), of only four
layers, just to try it out and see what it might do.  It was a
"cooking-from-the-hip" experiment, and I didn't take any notes; I was going
to take them next time, if I felt it was worth doing again.  It turned out to
be a lot of work for not that spectacular a result, so I haven't tried it
since. It is a long and complicated receipt, and who knows what they really
had in mind, but here's what I did:

I made it as a deep-dish pie, with regular crust in a pie pan, understanding
that to do it right it would be much larger and deeper than what I made. The
multi-colored, multi-layered fillings, which are rotated each layer, were
pretty straight forward, although the color variation wasn't as marked as I
would have liked. The bottom of the pie was lined with thin strips of bacon
fat for the lard. The hardest part was figuring out the layers between the
fillings.  Trying to make sense of the original receipt, I concluded that a
"tyne y-makyd of eyroun" was a scribal error for a "cyue y-makyd of eyroun"
(t and c, and u and n might easily be confused in 15th century secretary
script).  I read  "cyue" as "civee" (u and v being sometimes interchangable),
which in other contexts is an onion sauce.  A civee of eggs, it occurred to
me, might be a sauce of minced onions mixed with egg.  I made such a mixture,
and spread a layer of this over the strips of fat to form a base.  When the
receipt called for a cyue to be layered, alternating with grease, I concluded
this referred to the cyue of eyroun that had just been prepared.  I layered
butter (in place of grease) and the onion and egg mixture between the colored
ground-meat layers.  When it baked, the egg and onion layer solidified,
holding the filling together, and setting off the colored layers, giving a
pronounced striped effect.

It tasted alright, and a full-scale one would be impressive.  I should try it
again
sometime.  Thank you, Cindy, for reminding me of that long-ago experiment.

Rudd Rayfield