SC - OT - stuffed camel

lilinah at grin.net lilinah at grin.net
Thu Sep 9 11:43:47 PDT 1999

Lord Cariadoc wrote:
>At 6:12 PM -0700 9/8/99, lilinah at grin.net wrote:
>>I have not verified the existence of the purported book, just passing on
>>the gossip. It looks completely apocryphal to me, but, hey, i've never
>>boiled a whole camel...
>
>and posted a recipe for eggs inside chickens inside a lamb inside a camel
>(modern). Here is the closest period thing I could come up with offhand,
>from the big Andalusion cookbook:

I posted it as humor, for, as i alluded in my post, it looked like it was
not a "real" recipe, unless i am overestimating the size of a real camel
(and the ones i've seen in real life looked pretty big) and underestimating
the size of a Near/Middle Eastern cooking pan (and the one's i've seen both
in museums and in modern photos sure don't look big enough to hold a whole
camel). After all it does say to "boil until tender the camel, the lamb,
and the 20 chickens, after skinning, trimming and cleaning them.

Has anyone verified that actual possibility of that underseasoned camel
recipe actually being real? It sure looked fake to me... Is there a pot big
enough to hold a whole cleaned camel?

My post was meant as humor as well as commentary on that thread from the
past, definitely not as anything either "period" authentic or ethnically
authentic. Perhaps i need to be much more explict next time. I did put OT
in the header, guess i should have put OOP as well. I thought my remarks
made it clear i didn't think it was accurate, but there are great
limitations in e-mail. Guess i need to use more nudge-nudge-wink-wink
"emoticons".

>Stuffed and Roast Mutton; Called "The Complete" [or "The Inclusive"]

Thanks for the genuine recipe.

Anahita Gawri bint-Karim al-Fassi