SC - Middle Eastern coin deposits in North Western Europe

Elysant at aol.com Elysant at aol.com
Thu Sep 9 19:44:30 PDT 1999

- -Poster: <Elysant at aol.com>

In a message dated 09/08/1999 10:03:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
LrdRas at aol.com writes:

>  Anyway Elysant has a book that she got at Pennsic which has all these cool
>  maps where Middle Eastern stuff was found in digs in England, etc. I can't
>  remember the name of the book but she could share it with us. ;-)

The book is called An Atlas of Anglo-Saxon England by David Hill. Published
by University of Toronto Press, ISBN 0-8020-6446-9

The map in question (p. 54, map 80) shows sites of finds of Arabic coins of
the Viking Age (After Oxenstierna, 1967).  Arabic coin deposits are shown in
Iceland, Ireland, England, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland and all around
the rim of the Baltic sea and over into Russia and the Ukraine.

Elysant