SC - lime or sorbet, but not lime sorbet

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Sep 11 03:39:54 PDT 1999

Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:

> the online Latin dictionary I consulted at
> http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/resolveform?lang=Latin
> says:
> [once] sorbitium, ii, n. [id.], = sorbitio, a drink, draught, Ser. Samm.
>                      21, 360 dub. (al. sorbitio).
>
> Of course, that puts us no nearer to knowing what the consistency of
> said drink should be...
>
> Brighid

No, you're right; my error. Sorry! End of a long and difficult day with
eyes not working as well as they otherwise might. What I said actually
applies to sorbum, not sorbitio, which mean that for practical purposes
it doesn't apply at all. However, Lady Brighid is right about unknown
consistency, unless the adverb "sorbilo", 'by sipping, hence drop by
drop', or the noun "sorbitio", as Brighid says, but which my dictionary
defines as a draught or potion: this might conceivably imply a syrupy
consistency, but still it isn't very specific unless there's a
definition we aren't aware of.

My temptation to view the Italian nysbeke as similar to the English
version, with its batter I suspect to resemble plaster of Paris in
consistency, is not necessarily a safe assumption either.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com