Sauce or Pottage? (was: SC - Orange Omelette)

cclark at vicon.net cclark at vicon.net
Mon Sep 13 08:33:30 PDT 1999

Adamantius wrote:
> ... (it's not
>unprecedented to omit all reference to meat in pottage dishes that are,
>in some cases, supposed to be meat-in-sauce dishes, like some of the
>syrosye-type thingies in England) ...

I'd be fascinated to see any evidence for this hypothesis. If this refers to
the recipes at the beginning of "Diuersa Cibaria," and related recipes from
later MSS, it seems quite possible (even very likely) from the larger
context that meat in *all* of these recipes (through no. 14) is ground, as
is specified for the capon meat (AKA "gret vlehs") in the "maumenee" (no.
7). "Haucegeme" (no. 6) includes diced meat, but that is in addition to
ground meat - just as the "anesere" (no. 3) includes both almond milk and
whole almonds.

Later recipes for these dishes seem to have included ground or shredded meat
less often. The meat is first omitted from the fruit and flower dishes, and
then in the _Two_Fifteenth-Century_Cookery-Books_ recipes are given side by
side for "Maumenye ryalle" (with meat) and "Mammenye bastarde" (without
meat). I don't suppose that these later meatless versions are the ones that
are "supposed to be meat-in-sauce?"

Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon