SC - RE: Onions

pat fee lcatherinemc at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 13 09:23:20 PDT 1999

  The onions we know today as "Egyptian" are a cross breed of a similar type
of "branching" onion found in Whales in the middle ages. The "Egyptian"
onions were brought back from the third crusade, by monks, because they
resembled "native onions"  However the crossing of these plans took much
from the Welsh parent and the "offspring didn't much resemble the Egyptian
onion.  Then in the 19 century the true "Egyptian" onion was re introduced
into Europe.  If you saw the two side by side you could see the difference.
The egyptian one  does resemble garlic chives, while the Welsh onion
produces more shallot like "fruit" and is a considerably bigger and stronger
plant.  The "fruit being sometimes almost purple in color, with a very
strong flavor.
   The only places that onions described in one post as being long leaves
with unformed bulbs growing in the ground, is parts of England and New
England in the US.  This name has come to mean the onion that the rest of us
here call green or spring onions.

Lady Katherine McGuire