SC - Almond Paste

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Mon Sep 13 20:55:41 PDT 1999

And it came to pass on 13 Sep 99,, that DianaFiona at aol.com wrote:

> I almost always make my own almond paste--it's ridiculously
> expensive to buy, but easy enough to make. You can indeed just grind it
> up in the food processor, adding sugar and rosewater/ water/whatever to
> taste. A couple of things to consider, though........

Thank you for the tips!  I ventured to try a small batch tonight.  I started
with one part sugar to two parts almond, then increased the sugar to
equal parts when it became evident that my homemade paste was not
as sweet as the store-bought.  I think I added a little too much water,
but that's okay, as the paste gets blended into a cake, not molded into
shapes.  However, I am concerned about the fact that the store-bought
was much more strongly almond-flavored.  Several of the recipes I found
on the web suggest that almond paste needs to "mature" for a week or
more until the flavor develops.  One suggested that the impatient could
add almond extract, if they wanted to use the paste right away.  Have
you found that the flavor strengthens with age?  And do you need to
store the finished product in the fridge?

>                 Ldy Diana, wandering kitchenward after a piece..........

Brighid

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann