SC - Beef on Kimmelweck

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Sep 14 17:38:48 PDT 1999

Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> No, I don't have a recipe.  I wish I did, because my
> mother was born in Buffalo and has frequent cravings
> for Kimmelweck.  I would love to make her some,
> because
> at 83, it is unlikely that she will able to back there
> again.

It just so happens...

Not my recipe. Not responsible! Park and lock it!

However, while I can't vouch for the accuracy and authenticity of this
recipe as a genyoowine Buffalo artifact, it does indeed make good rolls
which go well with rare roast beef and horseradish, a.k.a. Beef on Weck.
The rolls seem to be a rich, somewhat eggy cousin of the basic Kaiser
roll. Good schtuff!

> KUMMELWECK ROLLS
> FROM: MARILYN SULTAR (FJVS25A)

> 4 1/2-51/2 cups flour
> 2 tbsp sugar
> 2 tsp salt
> 1 pkg active dry yeast
> 3 tbsp margarine, softened
> 1-1/2 c hot tap water
> 1 egg white, room temperature
> water
> coarse salt (kosher salt)
> caraway seeds
>
> Mix thoroughly 1 1/3 CUP FLOUR, SUGAR, SALT and undissolved YEAST in a large
> bowl. Add MARGARINE and gradually add HOT WATER. Beat 2 minutes at medium
> speed of electric mixer. Scrape sides of bowl when necessary. Add EGG WHITE
> and 1 CUP more FLOUR. Beat on high speed 2 minutes longer. Stir in
> additional FLOUR, enough to make a soft dough. On a lightly floured board,
> knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place in greased
> bowl, turning to grease the top. Cover bowl and let dough rise in a warm
> place free of drafts until double in bulk, about 45 minutes. Punch down
> dough; turn onto a floured board and knead gently for a minute or two. Break
> dough into 2" pieces; roll into balls.
>
> Leave balls of dough resting on floured board for 15 minutes. With a pastry
> brush, paint a small amount of melted butter on each roll. Use the handle of
> a wooden spoon to make an "x" on the top of each roll. Press each roll
> between your hands to flatten somewhat and place face down on a greased
> cookie sheet. Cover and let rise again until double, about 35 minutes.
> Combine coarse salt with caraway seed in small bowl, proportion according to
> taste. (In Buffalo the salt taste seems predominant--to me at least!) Rub
> with fingers to combine flavors. Turn rolls face up, brush with water and
> sprinkle with caraway seed/salt mixture. Bake on cookie sheet at 375 degrees
> for 30 minutes. Yields 1 1/2 doz. rolls.

Traditionally this is used as a container or handle for roast beef (a
nice tender cut like rib is not inappropriate, considering this is
apparently a Superbowl party thang...) au jus, traditionally spread with
prepared horseradish before piling on the beef and a little jus.
Normally eaten warm.

I've made these cold for travel purposes by letting the beef cool and
reducing the pan juices to a sort of jelly and chilling that (you might
need to deglaze with water or beef stock before doing this). This
glaze-ey jellied stuff is wonderful spread on the kummelweck and beef,
along with the horseradish.

Hope this helps!

Adamantius
- --