SC - RE: Onions

Phil Anderson hairy at sloth.southern.co.nz
Wed Sep 15 03:35:58 PDT 1999

katherine writes:

>If you saw the two side by side you could see the
>difference.  The egyptian one  does resemble garlic chives, while the
>Welsh onion  produces more shallot like "fruit" and is a considerably
>bigger and stronger plant.

I suspect there are some differences in local terminology hitting this
thread. I have both garlic chives and Egyptian "walking" onions (aka
Cthulhu plants) in my garden. They're both green and edible, but that's
about where the resemblance stops.

Egyptian onions are more like spring onions than anything else, but their
tubular leaves have thicker walls, and they grow onion bulbs on stalks,
which sprout more stalks, which bear more bulbs... until the whole
edifice falls over and the bulbs take root.

Garlic chives are onsiderably smaller (roughly chive-sized, surprisingly)
with solid leaves with a narrow D-shaped cross-section.

Edward Long-hair
Southron Gaard, Caid

 Phil Anderson  ***  hairy at sloth.southern.co.nz