SC - New World foods

lilinah at grin.net lilinah at grin.net
Wed Sep 15 22:37:17 PDT 1999

Frederich asked:

>I have always thought of Spanish moss as an air plant.  Are Pineapples grown
>the same way, as a parasite on another plant?

Many bromeliads grow in trees in the tropics. They aren't destructive the
way Spanish moss is, having a more symbiotic than parasitic relationship
(ok, so maybe not symbiotic, but at least non-harmful). They nestle in a
crook between a branch and the trunk and soak up moisture from the air, or
moisture that gathers or drips into the tree crook and they don't strangle
the tree.

You can grow them on, errr, i think it was sphagnum moss in a special
wall-mounted planter. You just have to keep the moss moist by misting. They
were quite fashionable in Los Angeles in the 1980's when i lived there.
They were sold at street fairs, everyone gave them as gifts, they were
nearly ubiquitous in apartments, just like ficus (well, they're nothing
like ficus, just that they were both fashionably pervasive in-home plants).

Pineapples don't grow on trees, that's for sure. I've never seen a
pineapple field in real life, but in photographs they appeared to be
growing up out of the earth. The fruit is on a stalk in the center of the
plant surrounded by very sharp leaves (like the ones on top of the fruit
but bigger).

Don't look at me, i have a black thumb.

Anahita