SC - Wild Boar REC ?OOP

Elysant at aol.com Elysant at aol.com
Fri Sep 17 10:23:20 PDT 1999

- -Poster: <Elysant at aol.com>

Boudicca wrote:

>  Help! I have happened upon a breeder of wild boars in my area and I want
>  to cook a leg of wild boar for a Shire pot luck on Sat. the 18th
>  Any suggestions for herbs spices etc?
>
>  I currently have sage, rosemary thyme oregano, mint, chives, garlic, etc.
>  growing in my herb garden.

I don't know if this would help you Boudicca, but I do have a recipe for
"Cutlets of Wild Boar" - from a book Food and Cooking in Prehistoric Britain
by Jane Renfrew, published by English Heritage ISBN 1 85074 079 8.

Unfortunately, even though the author is trying to provide the reader with a
sampling of dishes that would have been eaten from the Bronze Age on in
Britain, she does not cite the source for this particular recipe. :-(  It is,
however, placed within a group of meat dishes she features from Mrs. Beeton's
Cookery and Household Management 1960 Ed.

Elysant

"Cutlets of Wild Boar"

Saute the cutlets in oil or butter until tender, and arrange them on croutons
of fried bread.  Pour over them the pan juices mixed with a little thick
cream and a few crushed juniper berries (1 - 2 per cutlet).  Serve with
unsweetened apple sauce.

(Incidentally, this recipe is very similar to an OOP dish I make "Pork Chops
and Cream Corn" with cream corn substituted for the cream, and without the
croutons and juniper berries.)