SC - Wild Boar REC ?OOP

Leslie Lansdowne lalliepop at netzero.net
Fri Sep 17 21:34:57 PDT 1999

- -----Original Message-----
From: Liam Fisher <macdairi at hotmail.com>
To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG <sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG>
Date: Friday, September 17, 1999 4:16 PM
Subject: Re: SC - Wild Boar REC ?OOP

>> >  Help! I have happened upon a breeder of wild boars in my area and I
>>want
>> >  to cook a leg of wild boar for a Shire pot luck on Sat. the 18th
>> >  Any suggestions for herbs spices etc?
>> >
>> >  I currently have sage, rosemary thyme oregano, mint, chives, garlic,
>>etc.
>> >  growing in my herb garden.
>
>I'm not familar with etc.  Is it hard to grow?
>
>>Saute the cutlets in oil or butter until tender, and arrange them on
>>croutons
>>of fried bread.  Pour over them the pan juices mixed with a little thick
>>cream and a few crushed juniper berries (1 - 2 per cutlet).  Serve with
>>unsweetened apple sauce.
>>
>>(Incidentally, this recipe is very similar to an OOP dish I make "Pork
>>Chops
>>and Cream Corn" with cream corn substituted for the cream, and without the
>>croutons and juniper berries.)
>
>(I'm filing that one away...one should not read this list on
>an empty stomach)
>
>Aich! you're making me hungry IP and OOP.  I was thinking that she
>COULD roast it over a fire with a little thyme, rosemary and mint.
>That sounds cool to me.  It'll be a bit gamey unless the boar
>was fed grains and as it was said before it'll be quite intense
>if it's ungelded.  Stew is another option with field veggies...

Ok, this may be a dumb question---but just remember that I am a newbie to
all of this :-)
What is it about an ungelded boar that will make it a more intense flavor
than if it is gelded.  It is the loss of hormones in a gelded animal that
keep the meat more tender and "light"?  This effect applies to all male
game, I suppose?
TIA

Leslie:-)