SC - Wild Boar REC ?OOP

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Sep 18 08:41:18 PDT 1999

In a message dated 9/18/99 12:38:12 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
lalliepop at netzero.net writes:

<< What is it about an ungelded boar that will make it a more intense flavor
 than if it is gelded?  It is the loss of hormones in a gelded animal that
 keep the meat more tender and "light"?  This effect applies to all male
 game, I suppose? >>

The primary reason for gelding a male animal whether it be sheep, cattle,
boars, chickens or any other animal is that castration prevents the onset of
sexual maturity. The result is a more predictable and placid animal. The
growth rate is also increased by gelding.

Other benefits include the lack of a strong 'gamy' taste, a larger animal, a
fatter animal (thereby more tender). As an example, in my youth we had a
breeding boar that required 9 nose rings to control it and a bull that had 6
nose rings. None of our gelded cattle or pigs required any nose rings.

Speaking of pigs, I recently came across a recipe in La Managier which
specifically called for the use of a 'thin' pig with the added caution that
even with a thin pig the layer of fat had to be removed for the recipe. :-)

Anyway, if the boar is raised on a farm as you say then I would examine it to
see if it were streaked with fat. If not, then larding would be in order. Or
you might want to roast it in a covered roasting pan to assure moistness.
Although not period, SFAIK, stab the leg all over and insert garlic cloves
into each of the slashes (about 20 should be good for a good sized leg). Rub
the outside with salt and pepper. Put the boar leg in a large roasting pan,
dump in a half gallon or so of apple cider. Cover tightly and roast at 325
deg F until it is tender.

Ras