SC - It's Harvest Time

Jessica Tiffin jessica at beattie.uct.ac.za
Mon Sep 20 09:57:51 PDT 1999

>There's a problem, though. I've searched through some of my historic
>cook
books
>and I'm having difficulty finding recipes which use carrots (or
>parsnips
for
>that matter), turnips, and beets. Were these root vegetables so
>common that
they were not included in the cook
>books

I assume you have the old standbys?  Platina's Armoured turnips
(layered with cheese, in Cariadoc); there's also a _wonderful_ recipe
for turnips cooked in wine with chestnuts, I can't remember where
it's from offhand, but it's in Pleyn Delit.  (As you may guess, I'm
at work and have nary a book with me).  Using a semi-sweet white wine
takes away the slight bitterness of turnips _beautifully_.

Cariadoc also has a couple of broths with turnips, parsnips and
carrots, from Platina and Curye on Inglish.  Cariadoc's recipes are
listed at http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/recipe_toc.html; mail
me if you don't have web access and I can send them to you.

Jehanne

Jehanne de Huguenin, called Melisant  *  Seneschal, Shire of Adamastor, Cape Town
(Jessica Tiffin, University of Cape Town)
Sable, three owls rising argent, each maintaining a willow slip vert.
users.iafrica.com/m/me/melisant/stidings.htm