SC - Wild Boar REC ?OOP

Liam Fisher macdairi at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 20 08:39:57 PDT 1999

>Ok, this may be a dumb question---but just remember that I am a >newbie to
>all of this :-)

Don't worry, I'll be gentle...

>What is it about an ungelded boar that will make it a more intense >flavor
>than if it is gelded.  It is the loss of hormones in a gelded >animal that
>keep the meat more tender and "light"?  This effect >applies to all male
>game, I suppose?
>TIA

Yes, the loss of hormones causes the muscles to be larger and less
fiberous and everything is much less compact and concentrated.
The animal doesn't go through all the stresses of its puberty as well, which
changes the flavor and texture of the meat.

Along with that goes the diet of the animal, if its diet is rich in certain
plant and chemicals  then the meat will have a particular flavor.  The best
example that comes to mind is farm raised catfish.  Catfish live on the
bottom of rivers hoovering up whatever detrius  they can digest, as a
result, they tend to taste like the stuff they eat.  Farm raised catfish
tastes a whole lot better than wild catfish.

I usually soak various venisons of unknown diet in a mild to stiff brine or
in whole milk (you need the fat to bind to the nasties)for a couple of hours
or even overnight sometimes.  It also breaks down some of the fibers the
meat and makes it less intense.

Cadoc