SC - spaetzle

Valoise Armstrong varmstro at zipcon.net
Tue Sep 21 17:27:00 PDT 1999

Bear wrote:
>Sabina Welserin has three dumpling recipes, two of which are for filled
>dumplings.  The third is most interesting as it is a flourless batter recipe
>(119).  The recipe says nothing about how the dumplings are to be shaped,
>but the description of the dough as a batter suggests that these are drop
>dumplings.  This recipe isn't close to spaetzle, but it might make an
>interesting substitution.

I've always wondered if Sabina Welserin didn't just inadvertently leave the
flour out of this recipe, I'm not sure I've ever heard of German dumpligs
(generally called Knoedel or Klosse) without flour or bread crumbs of cubed
bread or something of the sort to hold them together.

Knoedel were known fairly early. There's a picture from a 12th C. fresco in
South Tyrol showing a person making the dumplings. I saw it several years
ago when I was in Austria in Franz Maier-Bruck's Das Grosse Sacher
Kochbuch. I really, really wish that I'd photocopied that page.

Valoise